Unacceptable Construction & Demolition Waste Checklist

The Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE) considers the following materials unacceptable for disposal in a construction and demolition (C&D) waste disposal area:

  • Waste material containing friable asbestos 
  • Garbage 
  • Appliances from which ozone depleting chlorofluorocarbons have not been removed in accordance with the provisions of the federal clean air act 
  • Electrical equipment containing regulated hazardous materials 
  • Tires, drums, and containers even if such wastes resulted from C&D activities 
  • Processed tires (i.e. cut or baled) 
  • Mud trap wastes from businesses other than commercial car washes 
  • Processed wood which is considered to present a significant risk of adverse impacts to groundwater quality, including wood disposed from industrial manufacturing processes where wood is treated with creosote, oilborne preservatives, or water borne preservatives 
  • Bagged or bulk quantities of leaves and/or grass clippings 
  • Trash bags unless demonstrated to contain only acceptable C&D wastes 
  • Packaging wastes that are generated at retail establishments selling construction materials, chemical containers generated from any source, or packaging generated during maintenance of existing structures 

If regulated hazardous, regulated PCB, or medical waste is observed, notify the KDHE - Bureau of Waste Management at (785) 296-1600 within one working day.

If unacceptable wastes are observed and cannot be disposed in another permitted location at the Lincoln County Transfer Station, driver may be supplied with the following contact information to locate an appropriate disposal facility:

KDHE - Bureau of Waste Management:          (785) 296-1600


Acceptable Construction & Demolition Wastes Checklist

The Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE) considers the following materials acceptable for disposal in a construction and demolition (C&D) waste disposal area:

  • Street sweepings (litter removed, concentrations of metals, VOCs, and other compounds below regulatory levels) 
  • Floor tile (containing non-friable asbestos) resulting from the construction, remodeling, or repair and demolition of structures and utilities 
  • Siding (containing non-friable asbestos) resulting from the construction, remodeling, or repair and demolition of structures and utilities 
  • Roofing material (containing non-friable asbestos) resulting from the construction, remodeling, or repair and demolition of structures and utilities 
  • Solid waste resulting from the construction, remodeling, or repair and demolition of structures, roads, sidewalks, and utilities, including, but not limited to, bricks, concrete, and other masonry materials, soil, rock, wood, wood products, wall or floor coverings, plaster, drywall, plumbing fixtures, electrical wiring, electrical components containing no hazardous materials, nonasbestos insulation, and small quantities of construction related packaging 
  • Trees, brush, and sod; incidental quantities of leaves and grass 
  • Metal scrap (e.g. tie strapping) 
  • Untreated wood and untreated sawdust; wooden pallets 
  • Treated wood from demolition projects 
  • Processed wood which is not considered to present a significant risk of adverse impacts to groundwater quality, including coated wood (e.g. painted, stained, or varnished) from any source and engineered wood (e.g. plywood, laminated wood, oriented-strand or particle board) from any source, except as noted 
  • Mobile homes and trailers (except the tires and fuel tanks) 
  • Small amounts of municipal solid waste generated by the consumption of food and drinks at construction or demolition sites, including, but not limited to, cups, bags, and bottles 
  • Furniture (no computer monitors or other components, TVs, VCRs, stereos, etc.) and appliances from which ozone depleting chlorofluorocarbons have been removed in accordance with the provisions of the federal clean air act 
  • Solid waste consisting of motor vehicle window glass

Licensed in Lincoln County


Lincoln Park Manor Home Health

Lincoln, KS  67455

Phone: (785) 420-0095

Fax: (833) 256-7073

Cell: 785-407-0283

Community Liaison: 785-820-6523


Accessible Home Care

Minneapolis, KS  67467

Phone: 785-407-5033

Fax: 785-833-6535


In My Home - Home Care and Home Health

A Division of OCCK, Inc

Salina, KS 67401

Phone: 785-823-2025

Fax: 785-823-2015


Angels Care Home Health

Russell, KS 67665

Phone: 785-205-1690

Fax: 785-205-1694

Cell: 785-658-6608


North Central Flint Hills Area Agency On Aging, Inc.

Aging and Disabilities Resource Center




Fax: 785-776-9904


Phone: 785-823-1277

Fax: 785-823-1145



Gentiva: for profit nationwide - 620-664-5757

Hospice of Salina: nonprofit - 785-825-1717

Solomon Valley: nonprofit - 785-738-9260



Federal Agencies

FEMA -- Are You Ready? A Guide to Citizen Preparedness brings together facts on disaster survival techniques, disaster-specific information, and how to prepare for and respond to both natural and man-made disasters.  www.fema.gov/areyouready/

U.S. Fire Administration -- As an entity of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, the mission of the USFA is to reduce life and economic losses due to fire and related emergencies, through leadership, advocacy, coordination, and support    www.usfa.fema.gov/

NATIONAL RESPONSE CENTER (reporting Haz. Mat. Spill) -- The NRC is the sole federal point of contact for reporting oil and chemical spills. If you have a spill to report, contact us via our toll-free number or check out our Web Site for additional information on reporting requirements and procedures. For those without 800 access, please contact us at 202-267-2675.  The NRC operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.    www.nrc.uscg.mil/index.htm

EPA -- EPA provides leadership in the nation's environmental science, research, education and assessment efforts. EPA works closely with other federal agencies, state and local governments, and Indian tribes to develop and enforce regulations under existing environmental laws. EPA is responsible for researching and setting national standards for a variety of environmental programs and delegates to states and tribes responsibility for issuing permits, and monitoring and enforcing compliance. Where national standards are not met, EPA can issue sanctions and take other steps to assist the states and tribes in reaching the desired levels of environmental quality. The Agency also works with industries and all levels of government in a wide variety of voluntary pollution prevention programs and energy conservation efforts.     www.epa.gov/

CITIZENS CORPS -- Citizen Corps asks you to help your family and your community be safer, stronger, and better prepared to respond to any kind of disaster.     www.citizencorps.gov/

DOT EMERGENCY RESPONSE GUIDEBOOK -- The Emergency Response Guidebook (ERG2000) was developed jointly by the US Department of Transportation, Transport Canada, and the Secretariat of Communications and Transportation of Mexico (SCT) for use by firefighters, police, and other emergency services personnel who may be the first to arrive at the scene of a transportation incident involving a hazardous material. It is primarily a guide to aid first responders in (1) quickly identifying the specific or generic classification of the material(s) involved in the incident, and (2) protecting themselves and the general public during this initial response phase of the incident. The ERG is updated every three to four years to accommodate new products and technology. The next version is scheduled for 2004.  hazmat.dot.gov/pubs/erg/gydebook.htm

U.S. DEPT OF AGRICULTURE -- FSA was set up when the Department was reorganized in 1994, incorporating programs from several agencies, including the Agricultural Stabilization and Conservation Service, the Federal Crop Insurance Corporation (now a separate Risk Management Agency), and the Farmers Home Administration. Though its name has changed over the years, the Agency's relationship with farmers goes back to the 1930s.  www.fsa.usda.gov/pas/default.asp

National Weather Service/NOAA-- Regional office located in Wichita KS.     https://www.weather.gov/ict/ 

Ready.gov -- Ready is a National public service campaign designed to educate and empower the American people to prepare for, respond to, and mitigate emergencies, including natural and man-made disasters. The goal of the campaign is to promote preparedness through public involvement.     https://www.ready.gov/ 

U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) -- is to enhance the health and well-being of all Americans, by providing effective health and human services and by fostering sound, sustained advances in the sciences underlying medicine, public health, and social services.     https://www.hhs.gov/ 

US Dept. of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) -- creates strong, sustainable, inclusive communities and quality affordable homes for all. HUD is working to strengthen the housing market to bolster the economy and protect consumers; meet the need for quality affordable rental homes; utilize housing as a platform for improving quality of life; build inclusive and sustainable communities free from discrimination and transform the way HUD does business.  https://www.hud.gov/ 


State Agencies

Kansas Division of Emergency Management KDEM -- The mission of the Division of Emergency Management is to provide a 24-hour operation to reduce loss of life and property, protect Kansans from all hazards by providing and coordinating resources, expertise, leadership and advocacy through a comprehensive, risk-based emergency management program of mitigation, preparedness, response and recovery.  www.accesskansas.org/kdem/

Kansas Emergency Management Association KEMA -- The Kansas Emergency Management Association (KEMA) represents its members who make up the professional Emergency Management community of Kansas.  www.kema.org/

Rangeland Fire Danger Forcast for Kansas -- Rangeland fire danger forcast for Kansas National Weather Service (NOAA) Topeka KS  www.crh.noaa.gov/product.php

KDOT -- road conditions 511.ksdot.org/kanroadpublic/Ksys/KanRoad.asp

Kansas National Guard -- Disaster and Emergency Aid  https://kansasarmynationalguard.com/ 

Kansas Department of Agriculture -- Specific programs and funding to support rural communities in Kansas    https://agriculture.ks.gov/

Kansas Highway Patrol -- Protect and Serve throughout the state of Kansas.     https://kansashighwaypatrol.org/ 

Kansas Dept. of Health and Environment -- https://www.kdhe.ks.gov/ 

Kansas Dept. for Children and Families -- http://www.dcf.ks.gov/ 




kansas wic logoShopping with your eWIC Card
PowerPoint slideshow

Health ChannelWICShopper