Overseas voting, or federal services voting, is available for military personnel and their dependents as well as civilians and their dependents living abroad. A voter must meet the criteria established by the federal Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act. Voters voting under the UOCAVA are exempt from Kansas' photo ID requirements under the SAFE Act. However, it is important to note that overseas absentee voting is not the same as advance voting in Kansas. Registered voters in Kansas who do not qualify under the federal overseas voting rules may apply for an advance ballot (Español)in the county where they are registered and will be subject to the ID requirements. 

Here are the steps for overseas voting:

  1. Submit a ballot application
    Send it to the county election office where your Kansas residence is. The application is the Federal Post Card Application, or FPCA. You may find your county election office contact information here. Your application remains effective for one calendar year. 
  2. Obtain your ballot. 
    Ballots will be sent out starting 45 days before an election to all voters with an active FPCA on file. You will choose your preferred method of ballot delivery U.S. mail, fax, or email when you complete your application.

Return your ballot
Return it to the county election office that sent it to you. You have the same options you had in obtaining your ballot-U.S. mail, fax or email.