Contact your local Freedom of Information Officer if you have any questions concerning:

  • What records are open and available;
  • How to obtain a record;
  • Any dispute relating to open records;
  • The cost of an open record; or
  • Any other question relating to open records.

Most records maintained by public entities are open for inspection and/or copying by individuals. Commonly requested records include:

  • Ordinances
  • Resolution
  • Minutes from open meetings
  • Salaries of public officials
  • Budgets

The Kansas Open Records Act recognizes that some records contain information which is private in nature. For this reason, the Act lists a number of exceptions.  Records which are closed for this reason may include:

  • Notes and preliminary drafts; Personnel information of public employees;
  • Medical treatment records:
  • Records which are protected by the attorney-client privilege or the rules of evidence;
  • Records containing personal information compiled for Census purposes;
  • Notes and preliminary drafts;
  • Criminal investigation records; and several other specific records

 How to Request a Record

  • Step 1 - Check with the records custodian or local Freedom of Information Officer to determine whether the information that you need is available. Please remember to be courteous and specific when requesting information so that the custodian will be able to serve you better.
  • Step 2 - You may be asked to submit your request for information in writing. The records custodian may have a prepared form for this purpose.  Make sure your request is as specific as possible so that your request may be filled quickly and completely.  The records custodian may ask detailed questions in order to fulfill your request accurately.
  • Step 3 - Most records will be produced within three business days from the time the request is received.  If the request is denied, you will receive a written explanation for the delay or denial.
  • Step 4 - If you have any questions about your request, contact your local Freedom of Information Officer.


The Kansas Open Records Act authorizes public agencies to charge fees for providing access to or furnishing copies of public records.  This fee maybe requested in advance and may include:

  • Cost of staff time required to make their information available.
  • Cost of copying or reproducing the record.

Lincoln County Freedom of Information Officer:

Dawn Harlow
Lincoln County Clerk
Lincoln County Courthouse
216 E Lincoln Ave
Lincoln, KS 67455